Thursday, October 21, 2010

In Class: Reflection on Primary Source Hunt

Finding my primary sources was really easy, I planned it that way and it worked. What made the difference for me was the process. I suppose that most people picked their subject and then looked for primary sources. The problem with this method is that once you've chosen your subject you're stuck and if you can't find any good primary sources it's just too bad. I made it easy on myself by finding my sources before I picked a topic. Before I was committed to anything I made sure I had at least 3 great primary sources to work with. It took a tiny bit more effort up front but it's made the rest of the deal a breeze.
Another key factor was picking something that I really like. If I had decided my original sources weren't good enough or I needed more I would've known exactly where to go. Plus, I like thinking about this stuff in my spare time, making the homework more bearable.
The last key to success was picking something with a specific date that was highly documented on the web, I could punch the date and topic into Google and find all sorts of great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment