Thursday, September 9, 2010

Unit 1: My Public Space

I spent a lot of time exploring campus, trying to find something that would be interesting to me and to you, my reader. I wanted something that was close to campus and something that other students may be able to relate to. I wanted something that I knew a little bit about but something that was still distant enough for me to remain objective. I also needed something that would easily fit into the assignment.

I finally decided on a place that can seem a little strange to some, but also feel like home to others. I found a place that makes some people comfortable, yet can make us all a little bit uncomfortable to talk about. I found a place that is tied directly to emotion, whether that emotion be good or bad is up to them. I found a place that has a strong connection to a gigantic cultural framework that is extremely complex and sometimes very confusing, but supposedly so simple a child could understand it.

The place I chose is right next to campus and a building that I walk by every day. I chose the University Christian Church. I know that this public space will have its challenges but it will be fun to see the difference between the weekend and weekday crowd and I think I will have so many people and things to observe that my pencil just might catch my field notes on fire. I found a place that I'm excited about and I look forward to moving forward with this project.

3 comments:

  1. I think that the Church is a good idea for this paper. I like how you discussed how it can make many people feel many different ways. It will be difficult to observe it from an objective standpoint but that will make it all the more interesting. I too will be interested to see what differences you find between the weekday and weekend crowd, which is a point I would not have thought to bring up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you build up the suspense of what your space is. You kept describing the place you wanted drawing the audience in and then you informed us it was the Church. I think that this is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a church. Like you pointed out, it will be very interesting to see the different types of people visiting the church on weekends and weekdays. Good luck on your paper.

    ReplyDelete